INDIAN RAILWAY QUESTION BANK
OBJECTIVE TYPE (PART I)
99. A Railway servant directly connected with train passing duties shall not use alcoholic drinks within _____________ hours before the commencement of his duty.
100.During foggy weather, impairing visibility in Absolute Block system, the Loco Pilot shall observe a speed restriction of ___________kmph.
101. When panel is not in use, it should be ___________________
102. During power failure one generator should not be used for more than ____________ hours.
103. During power block _____________________________ train may be allowed.
105. O.D.C may be attached to a goods train with the prior approval of _____________
106. Speed of 'C' class O D C on BG shall not exceed ________ kmph.
107. Whenever points/signals are disconnected by S&T Dept., SM shall inform cabinman/leverman under exchange of _____________
108. The minimum vacuum level required in engine and Brakevan of a goods train are
_____ and ____ cms.
109. A R T shall be ready within____ minutes by day and ________ minutes by night.
110. Accident siren four long, one short indicates _______________ .
111. If a wagon escapes into the Block Section, a relief engine shall be sent only after a lapse of ____ minutes more than the running time of the slowest speed goods train.
112. Bell beats for is line clear is _____________ beats.
113. Incoming and outgoing bell beats will produce ______________ deflection in the
Galvano meter when both stations block instruments are in line closed position.
114. The Station Master who gives line clear shall remain on duty till the train has arrived
and the _________ signal is given and acknowledged.
115. The Station Master taking over charge shall test the block instruments and make a
record of the result then and there in the ____________
116. Verbal directions for shunting have to be accompanied by ________________
117. In an accident where the damage to railway property exceeds Rs._________, it is treated as serious accident
118. When a colour light distant signal is combined with a gate stop signal protecting a level crossing, it displays _________________ light in "ON" position.
119. Normal authority to proceed for the Loco Pilot of a train on single line in tokenless territory is _______
120. In double line section where an I.B.H is at 'ON' and telephone fails, the Loco Pilot after stopping for 5 minutes shall proceed with a speed of ______ kmph.
121.Automatic stop signal is distinguished by ___________________
122. Whenever a train is stopped on a gradient for any reason, it is essential to apply the________
123. When trains are run on T/D 912 in automatic block system, the speed shall not exceed ___
124. When any light engine is despatched for opening of communications, caution order shall be issued restricting the speed to__________________________
125. When the Loco Pilot observes any flasher light in the block section, he must reduce the speed to ____ when view is clear and _____ when view is not clear after putting ON and OFF three times the flasher light provided on his engine and render help if needed.
having common starter in addition to ATP.
127. Speed of a train while pushing back shall not exceed ____ Kmph when the Guard is
travelling in leading vehicle and _____ Kmph when not travelling in leading vehicle.
128. In EMU /DMU, the bell code signal O pause O indicates ________.
129. Fixed signals out of use shall be distinguished by keeping ___________.
130. When the Loco Pilot decides to take the train with a hot axle box wagon upto next
station from section, the speed shall not exceed ________________ KMPH.
131. Restrictions, as a temporary measure imposed, are intimated to the Guards and Loco Pilots through ___________
132. When all communications failed in Automatic system on double line and trains are
worked on time interval basis, the time interval shall be ______
133. During TSL working on double line in Absolute Block, speed of second and subsequent trains shall be ________________
134. A blank signal under complete power off is to be treated as_________________
135. The amount of air pressure required in engine of a superfast express train in F P is _______
136. On double line when a number of automatic signals fail, trains are worked under line
clear system, by giving _______________ authority.
137. While at a station, the Loco Pilot is to obey ____________ instructions.
138. When the Loco Pilot of an electric loco is not in leading cabin and working from trailing cab, the speed is restricted to ________________
139. The authority given, when IBS is defective is _________
140. The distance between two yellow lights of a semaphore distant signal showing Attention is ____
141. Whenever a signal is flickering or bobbing and no aspect is steady for 60 seconds, the
Loco Pilot shall treat the signal as ______________ .
142. During total interruption of communications, after opening of communications, the speed of the first train shall be restricted to ________ kmph.
143. Introduction of Panel interlocking / RRI shall be carried out only under ________
144. In 'ON' position, a banner type-repeating signal displays_________ light during night
145. Fresh BPC is required when attaching or detaching of a minimum of _____ units take
146. Authority for the Light Engine to open communication is ________.
147.The authority for shunting between LSS and opposing FSS on single line token section is _______
148. At diverging junction in MAUQ, a single arm home signal may be provided, where
speed does not exceed ________________
149. To detach the engine of a goods train having 17 wagons in block section, brakes of________ wagons are to be applied.
150. During total interruption of communications when train is detained at FSS for more than _______ minutes, the Loco Pilot must send the Assistant Loco Pilot to the station.
151. The Loco Pilot working in Ghat section are to be given _______ LR trips.
152. When double heading is permitted, dead engine can be attached as _______________
153. Vehicles shall not be detached from a material train in mid-section on a gradient of_______ or steeper.
154. Accident siren three long, one short indicates ________________________________
155."Train entering block section without authority to proceed "is an _______accident.
156. Neutral section is located between two consecutive ___________________________
157. Speed of the train shall not be less than ______ kmph while passing through a neutral section.
158. EMU/DMU bell code for zone of speed restriction over, Resume prescribed speed" is___________.
159. At every ________ metres, there is an emergency telephone socket provision in O H E area.
160. Caution indicator is located at a distance of ______ metres, before speed/stop indicator.
161. Dead engine shall not be attached to__________________________ trains.
162. The vacuum level to be registered in the engine before starting a goods train is _______
163. The air pressure to be maintained in the engine while clearing a train of 56 BOX N is ____
164. Special instructions are issued by _____________________
165. Route indicators are treated as ________________________
166. BSLB is provided on double line section, in __________________ signalling territory.
167. Under no circumstances should a train be ____________ over trailed through points.
168. Provision of warning board is dispensed with, when ____________ signal is provided.
169. Only _____ damaged vehicle(s) shall be attached behind rear brake van of goods train.
170. The interval from the time the engine is detached from the train and it is again attached
to a train carrying passenger shall not exceed _________________ minutes.
171. Loco Pilots and Guards of trains come to know about the class of each station through ______
172. Written authority to receive a train to an obstructed line is ______________
173. While performing shunting on passenger carrying trains, shunting engine shall first come to a halt at ______ metres from the train.
174. _________________ shall not be used for extinguishing fire on electrical equipments.
175. Speed of the light engine entering into a block section on block ticket is restricted to
176. Before the introduction of actual non-interlocked working, on the preceding Sunday or any day, when the number of trains are less ___________ should be tried during the day shift to ascertain difficulties..
177. Vulnerable locations provided with automatic danger level indicators will be notified in the __________________
178. Authority to send a light engine on to an occupied block section is__________
179. Authority for the trains passing over the temporary single line working is __________
180. The empty/load device-operating handle shall be kept in empty position when the wagon is empty and also when gross load does not exceed _______ tones.
181. The distributor valve isolation cock handle in __________ position indicates that the
distributor valve is in working position.
182. The aspect shown by the warner signal in ON position is ___________
183. Colour light distant signal is identified by _________________marker.
184. Gate signal in automatic block territory shows _______________light when gate is
185. On double line, the authority to perform shunting beyond BSLB is _____________
186. In the case of formations tested by vacuum exhauster/compressor, the time taken for
starting the trains after engine is attached shall not exceed ___________ minutes.
187. Derailment is an example of ________________ accident.
188. Whenever a stabled load is cleared from non-TXR point______________ check is to be conducted.
189.In a goods train the BP pressure in loco shall be _________ Kg.cm.2 and ________ Kg.cm.2 in BV.
190. When shunting permitted indicator is defective, the Authority given to the Loco Pilot is ______________
191. Reduction of B P Pressure causes _____________ in the train formation.
192. COCs of all vehicles shall be kept in ___________ position except the front side of loco and rear side of last vehicle before starting the train..
193. Target time for turning out M R T is ________for direct/indirect dispatch.
194. Mock drills for ART/MRT shall be conducted once in ________ months
195. The mark at which the infringement of fixed standard dimensions occurs, where two lines cross or join one another is called_____________
196. Whenever 'healthy section' is isolated and re-energised, the first train to enter block section shall observe a maximum speed of ________ kmph by day and _____ kmph by night.
197. Engine whistle code for alarm chain pulled is _____________
198. Coaches with passengers shall not be moved for shunting purposes without the personnel orders of _____ and also ____________ of the train concerned.
199. Loco Pilot or Guard observes a signal light is partially burning or not burning brightly enough to give a clear aspect, shall report the same to______________
200. When wagons are attached at a station, vehicle numbers must be included in the VG by the ______
201. When a bogie coaching vehicle is attached to a goods train, it is taken as
equivalent to _________
202 __________________ is authorised officer of SCR.
203. The number of dead engines that can be attached to a goods train is _______
204. On BG a train is protected by keeping last detonator at a distance of not less than ___________
205. When train is held up at FSS during normal working, protection is necessary when detention exceeds____________
206. Minimum amount of vacuum to be maintained in brake-van of a Mail/Express is _________ before starting the train.
207. When two white lights are burning horizontally in position light type shunt signal, the aspect of the signal is _____________
208. Whistle code - - 0 0 indicates Guard to _____________
209. Whistle code for protection in rear is _____________
210.Whistle code for train parting is_________
211.Whistle code for insufficient vacuum in engine is___________
212.A position light shunt signal when placed below a stop signal shall display ____________ light in 'ON' position.
213.Red target by day and red light by night in the trap indicator indicates that the trap is in ____________ condition
214.The number of hand brakes to be pinned down before detaching the train engine in block section on a gradient steeper than 1 in 600 is ____________
215.Arrivals and departures of passenger trains at a class D station are as per the instructions given in ___________
216.When an averted collision takes place between two trains in the block section, the inter distance between two trains shall be measured and entered in __________
217.The validity of BPC of Material train is _____days, subject to examining by TXR staff once in 7 days.
218.The securing of vehicles of material train when divided in block section shall be the responsibility of __________
219._____ number of coaches is permitted in rear of rear SLR of a passenger carrying trains in case of necessity. (excluding Officers saloon)
220.By postal express, race special and __________, officers saloons shall not be moved.
221.When the engine of a passenger train is detached in block section to report an accident to SM in advance, it shall be re-attached within ____________
222.Guards of trains provided with air conditioned SLR/LR shall show the all right signal to the Loco Pilot by ___________________
223.In case it is necessary to shunt a train from one line to another across the main line, ________ will supervise the shunting.
224.The validity of the Competency Certificate issued for guards at Zonal Railway Training Institute, Moula Ali is __________.
225.The danger zone in 25 kv area means the zone lying within ___________ of any live electrical equipment.
226.The engine whistle code to indicate to raise the pantograph is ______________
227.Loco Pilots and Guards of trains come to know of all temporary speed restrictions through ________
228.If any railway servant notices that a train has parted, he shall not show ____________ signal to the Loco Pilot.
229.Outer, Home and ______________ shall not be taken off for shunting purposes.
230.The knowledge of the staff who are expected to use the detonators should be tested once in ___________ by the Inspecting Official.
231.First aid box of a Guard shall be examined by ADMO once in _____________
232.When absolutely necessary the guard shall pull Guard emergency handle slowly and gradually so as to reduce vacuum by __________ cm only.
233.Trucks loaded with girders, machinery, long timbers etc. shall be inspected by Guard at stopping stations to ensure ___________________________
234.If an axle box of a vehicle is found running hot at a station, where the C&W staff are not provided, the vehicle shall be _________________
235.A vehicle involved in an accident shall not be moved from a station where stabled unless permission is obtained from ____________
236.Whenever the automatic vacuum brake is applied, the Guard shall send a special report along with __________
237.While conducting GDR check the time allotted for checking a formation of 60 units is __________
238.The isolating handle of distributor valve of an air brake wagon shall be kept in ________ position while working a train.
239.The brake power of Mail/Express trains shall not be less than _______________ per cent en-route.
240.The engine whistle code for Guard to come to engine is___________
241.Averted collision is an example of ____________ accident.
242.The first objective to be achieved in case of an accident is _______________
243.The amount of air pressure required to be registered in the BP gauge of the B/V of a passenger carrying train is __________
244.The amount of air pressure required to be registered in the FP gauge of the BV of a passenger carrying train is ___________
245.W.T.T. is published on the orders of _______________
246.The restricted speed of a train passing an automatic stop signal at ON is __________
247. The number of trains which can be run on a section in 24 hours is termed as _____________.
248. In Scottss formula, C = 1440x E what is meant by T _________T+t
249. Section will be considered saturated (related to line capacity) if the number of trains run daily are _______________________ of the charted capacity.
250. The following are some of the methods available for determining the Line capacity. (1)___________ ________ (2) ________________________.
251. Names of two coal loading stations in S.C.Railway are __________________and __________________.
252. Names of two cement loading stations are __________ and__________________
253. FOIS means_______________________.
254. COIS means ________________________
255. Formula for calculating wagon turn round is ___________________
256. Wagon turn round performance is denoted in terms of ________________.
257. If the number of wagon turn round days is more, the performance is
considered to be _______________.
258. SLO means _____________________________________.
259. Wagon census is conducted once in ____________________________
260. The ordering of goods trains depends on the availability of ____________,Locomotive, Path and crew.
261. NR cell means _________________________.
262. The time occupied for clearing a block section by a train which runs at maximum permissible speed is called___________________________.
263. At Zonal level the management of Passenger Traffic is looked after by _____.
264. Time Tables are issued _______________________year.
265. Accidents are classified under __________________ heads.
266. Train accidents are divided into _________________ and ________ accidents.
267. An example of breach of block rule is ________________
268. All accidents falling under the purview of section 113 of Railway Act 1989 are termed as ____________
269. A fire accident to a passenger carrying trains comes under class ____________ in accident classification.
270. The ADMOs shall check all the First Aid Boxes in their jurisdiction at the station once in a______________
271. Chapter VIII of Station Working Rules deals ___________________
272. The Loco Pilot of a train can save _______ by coasting.
273. The optimum number of trains which can be run on the section economically is known as ___________
274. In Scotts formula C=1440 X E, if T is the running time of the slowest T+t moving goods Train over a critical block section, and E is the efficiency factor, then = __________
275. ____________ method is the most practical way of assessing line
GOODS TRAIN OPERATION.
276. _____ train is an integral movement of goods, usually one commodity, moving from a single origin to single destination on a regular schedule.
277. An example of non-pooled wagon is ________________
278. At Railway Board, presently the inter-change of wagons are monitored by _______
279. The speed of goods trains with loaded wagons of carrying capacity +6T +2T shall be _______________________ and the speed goods trains with loaded wagons of carrying capacity +4T +2T shall be __________________
280. The traffic comes under priority A in priority schedule is ______________
281. The speed of the goods train carrying C class ODC shall not exceed ____ KMPH
282. The wagon turn round (latest) for S. C. Railway is nearly ________________
283. The wagon turn round (latest) for Indian Railways is __________________
284. CONCOR means ____________________________
285. IRCTCL means _____________________________
286. __________________ is known as Dry port also.
287. Roll on-Roll off concept was first introduced in ___________________
288. Ranjitpura is known mainly for _____________________ loading.
289. Ramagundam is known mainly for __________________ loading.
290. The validity of super intensively checked trains brake power certificate is __________.
291. The management of Freight Operation at Zonal Headquarters is looked after by __________________
292. Stock reports are daily repeated at _______________
293. __________________ wagons may be loaded to other Railways but the Railways receiving them should return (load/empty) wagons to the owning
PASSENGER TRAIN OPERATION.
294. In train No. 2723, the first number 2 indicates _________________
295. Primary train examination is generally conducted at ___________________
296. The number of berths available in WGSCN is _______________
297. Movements of military special are organized and monitored by ______________
298. Working time tables are issued by __________________
299. Recovery time is generally given short of _________________
300. Z R U C C means _______________________
301. Zonal Time table meeting is organized by _____________________
302. The detention to an Electrical for one hour costs Rs.______ and Diesel loco costs Rs.______
303. For a special train, Registration fee cum security deposit is______________
304. The Divisional Control Office is under the Administrative control of___________
305. The standard time signal is given daily at _______ hours by Section Controller.
306. Under the scheme of rationalization of parcels, Parcels should not be booked
from and to those stations, by express trains, wherever the halt is less than
307. The right time start of a goods train is ________________
308. ______________________ is a centralized, coordinated loco and traffic crew
booking organisation which also deals with the train ordering.
309. All defects in OHE are to be reported to ____________________
310. Power block is given by ___________________
311. Auxiliary paths for movement of trains are suitable for ____________ trains.
312. Every chart is printed normally for _________________ hours.
313. In a control chart, the station names are printed in ______________ rows.
314. In a control chart the horizontal row indicates _____________________
315. Weather warning messages are issued by _____________________
316. Bans are imposed by ______________________
317. Restrictions are imposed by ___________________
318. If the holding of wagons in a yard is more than the working capacity, it leads to __________________
319. The functions of a marshalling yards are reception of train, sorting, ____________ and _______________
320. Receiving more trains and despatching less leads to ________________
321. Yard congestion is statistically indicated through ________________ of a yard.
322. The first step to reduce the yard congestion is _____________
323. Cut memos are prepared by ________________
324. Irregularity memo is issued to indicate ____________________ in yard.
325. Operating ratio = Total earnings?
326. If the working expenses are increased and total earnings are decreased, operating ratio performance becomes ___________________
327. The operating ratio (latest) of the Railways is ___________________
328. The lesser the operating ratio _______________________ is the performance.
329. Wagon KM per wagon day indicates the ____________ wagon.
330. The net Tonne KM per wagon day = ?___________ Wagon days on line
331. Average speed of a goods train = Train KM ?
332. An example of Derived unit is ______________________
333. Engine KM per engine day on line gives ______________ of an engine.
334. The net Tonne KM per train engine hour =
335. Number of wagons dealt per shunting engine hour is =
STATION WORKING RULES.
336. SWR contains _________ paras and __________ appendices.
337. SWR copies in electrified areas are jointly signed by ______________
338. Any modification in SWR is issued in the form of __________________
339. The SWR shall be reviewed once in _____________________
340. Assurance register for SWR are to be signed by staff whenever _________
341. L.C. gate working is given in the ___________ appendix of SWR.
342. An ideal time for surprise inspection is _____________________
343. Regular inspection are to be conducted once in _____________
344. An example of non-detailed inspection is ________________
345. Different types of Inspections are _________________, _______________surprise, L.C. gate, foot-plate inspections.
COMMISSIONER OF RAILWAY SAFETY.
346. Approved special instructions are issued by ______________________
347. Office of the Chief Commissioner of Railway Safety is located at ________
348. Section 6 of Railway Act 1989 deals with ______________________
349. Presently the total number of circle offices of Commissioner of Railway Safety is _____
350. Statutory enquiry has to be commenced by CRS within ______ days of an
occurrence of a passenger train accident.
351. Section ______ sub-section (2) stipulates an obligation on the Railway
Administration to give a notice of accident to CRS.
352. CRS will submit his detailed report to CCRS and other authorities in
SAFETY ORGANISATION ON RAILWAY.
AVERAGE SPEED OF GOODS TRAIN.