INDIAN RAILWAY QUESTION BANK
GROUP D To GROUP C EXAM
GENERAL ENGLISH AND GRAMMAR
1. Letter Writing: in about 100 words(Assume your name as A)
|1. Letter Writing: in about 100 words (Assume your name as A)|
1. A letter to your friend inviting him for your marriage.
2. A letter to your friend describing the annual day function of your school.
3. A letter to the Editor about the problems in your locality
4. A letter to the Municipal Commissioner for regular supply of drinking water
5. A letter to the Municipal Commissioner describing the conditions of the roads in your locality.
6. A letter to a leading company for a job of Junior Assistant.
7. A letter to a Post Master complaining about the non-receipt of your parcel from your friend at Delhi.
8. A letter to your Officer requesting sanction of leave
9. A letter to your father about the new job you have taken up recently.
10. A letter to your friend in America describing the problems of un-employment .
11. A letter to your friend inviting him to spend Vacation with you
12. A letter to your father describing your progress in studies
13. A letter to your brother congratulating him at his success in the examination.
14. A letter to your friend describing important sight-seeing places in U. P.
15. A letter to your fiend expressing condolences on the death of his mother.
16. A letter to a Publisher for supply of certain books by VPP.
17. A letter to a Police Inspector about a theft in your house.
18. A letter to the Editor of a News Papers regarding frequent strikes and bandhs.
19. A letter to your friend expressing your inability to attend his marriage fuction.
20. A love letter to your girl/boy friend.
2. Essay Writing: (in about a page or 150 words)
(don’t use your name of identity)
2. My teacher whom I like
4. My best friend.
5. Poverty in India
6. My child-hood.
17. My school days.
18. If I were the Prime Minister
19. The Book I like the most
20. The Sport I like the most
21. The cinema I like the most.
22. The National Leader I like the most.
23. The political party I like the most.
24. Important tourist places of Andhra Pradesh
25. My hobby.
26. Dowry system
27. Population in India
28. Indian Railways
29. Your Railway and its divisions.
30. Un-employment in India
31. Education in India
32. Population in India
33. Reservation policy in recruitment in India.
34. Constitution of India
35. Superstitions – its effects.
36. Habits – effects on health.
37. Electronic media.
38. Festivals of India
39. Pen Friends
|3. Change the voice|
1) The cat killed the mouse
2) The man cut down the tree
3) Columbus discovered America
4) His teacher praised him
5) The police arrested the thief
6) The boy caught the ball
7) My father will write a letter
8) The hunter shot the lion
9) The girl opened the door
10) Everyone loves him
11) We expect good news
12) They sell radios here
13) I have sold my bicycle
14) We prohibit smoking
15) Open the door
16) He was praised by his father
17) The first rail engine was built by George Stephenson
18) The horse was frightened by the noise
19) The teacher was pleased with the boy’s work
20) He was taken to the hospital by his friends
21) The road was lined with people
22) Shakuntala was written by Kalidas
23) The building was damaged by fire
24) Those cars were built by Robots
25) The child was knocked down by a car
26) We elected Babu as Captain
27) I saw him opening the box
28) We must listen to his words
29) Without effort nothing can be gained
30) Do not insult the weak
31) My watch was lost
32) The master appointed him monitor
33) He made his friend do the work
34) Prem Chand wrote this novel
35) I bought the baby a doll
36) I opened the door
37) They know me
38) He taught me to read Hindi
39) We expect good news
40) I offered him a chair
41) We must listen to his words
42) Who taught you Urdu
43) Somebody has put out the light
44) The letter was written by the clerk
45) He was seen by my brother
46) Honey is made by bees
47) I was offered a chair
48) My watch has been stolen
49) The boy was praised by the teacher
50) He was chosen leader
51) The bird was killed by a cruel boy
52) We shall be blamed by everyone
53) By whom was this jug broken
|4. Join together the following pairs of sentences|
1) I know a man. The man had been to Iceland.
2) The thief stole the watch. The thief was punished
3) Show the road. The road leads to Delhi
4) I met a boy. He was very kind
5) The man is honest. The man is trusted
6) We met a girl. The girl had lost her way
7) He is a rogue. No one trusts him.
8) I have found the umbrella. I lost it.
9) I saw a girl. She was singing.
10) Here is the book. You were asking for the book.
11) This is the building. It was built in a month.
12) I met my Uncle. He had just arrived.
13) The boy is my cousin. You see him there.
14) The boy tells lies. He deserves to be punished.
15) Here is the book. The book contains pictures.
16) Give me the ruler. The ruler is on the desk.
17) He has a friend. He is a clever artist.
18) The boy was very proud. He had won the first prize.
19) This is the cat. It killed the rat.
|5. Split each of the following sentences into two|
1) Bring me the book that is on the table.
2) The elephant that was sick died.
3) I have found the book, which I lost.
4) The boy whom you see there made top score in the match.
5) He is a poet whose works are widely known.
6) The task which you have to do is easy.
|6. Identify the Adjectives from the following sentences|
1) He is an honest man
2) There is little time for preparation
3) The boy is lazy
4) She is afraid of the Ghost.
5) Kolkata is a large city.
6) Sita is a clever girl
7) The foolish old crow tried to sing
8) He has little intelligence.
9) You have no sense.
10) We have had enough exercise
11) He did not ear any rice
12) There are no pictures in the book
13) I taught you many things
14) Sunday is the first day of the week
15) I hate such things
16) He comes here every day
17) He won the second prize.
18) He was absent last week
19) My uncle lives in the next house.
|7. Write the Feminine gender of the following|
|8. Give the Plurals of the following|
|9. Fill in the blanks with suitable Adjectives|
|10. Give Comparative and Superlative degrees|
|11. Fill in the blanks with appropriate words|
|12. Use articles and fill up the blanks|
1. I saw _______ tree in ______ garden.
2. _____ tree I saw was Banyan.
3. He is ______ most intelligent boy.
4. _______ Godavari is _______ longest river in South India.
5. I want _____ cup of tea.
6. _______ Ramayana was written by Valmiki.
7. Iron is ______ useful metal.
8. Honesty is _______ best policy.
9. Tirupati is one of _______ pilgrim centers of Andhra Pradesh.
10. ______ Indians love music.
11. There is _____ insect in the glass.
12. Jack and Jill went up _____ hill.
13. Flowers in ____ garden are beautiful.
14. Gelelio was ______ Italian scientist.
15. _____ thief was sent to ____ prison.
16. He aims to become ______ engineer.
17. My brother is _______ teacher.
18. Spain is ______ European country.
19. I will come in ______ hour.
20. I never saw such ______ incident.
21. This is _____ exercise to test _____ knowledge in English.
22. I went to ______ hospital to see _____ patient.
23. _____ dinner was arranged at ____ Hotel Taj.
24. His vehicle makes _____ loud noise.
25. I saw _____ elephant in ______ zoo.
26. Wordsworth wrote poetry on beauty of _______ nature.
27. What ______ beautiful flower it is!
28. He is _______ best friend of mine.
29. _____ Sun rises in ______ East.
30. You are _____ man to do it.
31. This is ______ historic event.
32. The passengers want ______ help of _____ few volunteers.
33. He is as stupid as _____ ass.
34. _____ Lotus is ______ beautiful flower.
35. Look at _____ sky, how beautiful _____ stars look!
36. She wept like _____ child.
37. According to _______ Bible, God made ____ world in six days.
38. ______ Ambassador should be _____ man of pleasing manners.
39. Mussolini was ________ Hitler of Italy.
40. He is _____ native who knows ________ way in the jungle.
41. Sita is ______ purest woman.
42. ______ Earth is round.
43. Draw _____ map of India.
44. The doctor restored sight to _______ blind.
45. Twelve inches make ______ foot.
46. Not _____ word he said.
47. Wisdom is ______ gift of heaven.
48. Delhi is ______ capital of India.
49. Newton was ____ great philosopher.
50. I met him at _______ church.
51. A bird in _____ hand is worth two in _____ bush.
52. The darkest cloud has _____ silver lining.
53. Copper is ______ useful metal
54. He is not ______ honorable man
55. Do you see _____ blue sky
56. Varanasi is ____ holy city
57. Alladin had ______ wonderful lamp
58. He returned after _____ hour
59. _______ sun shines brightly
60. French is ______ easy language
61. Who is ______ girl sitting there
62. Which is the ______ longest river in India
63. He has come without ____ umbrella
64. Mumbai is _______ very costly place
65. The children found _______ egg in the nest
66. I bought ________ Horse _____ Ox and _____ Buffalo.
|13. Fill in the blanks with suitable Relative Pronouns|
1) We always like those boys _____ speak the truth
2) He ______ does his best shall be praised
3) I know ______ you mean
4) She has gone to Chennai __________ is her birth place
5) He gave away ________ he did not need
6) Here is the pen _______ you lost
7) Most people get ________ they deserve
8) He is a man _______ you can trust
9) Where is the book _________ I gave you
10) Listen to ______ I say
11) Did you receive the letter ________ I sent yesterday?
12) Do you know ________ has happened?
13) Do the same _______ I do
14) God helps those _______ help themselves
15) No man can lose ___________ he never had
16) That man _______ does not work must starve
17) He plays the game ______ he likes best
18) I do not believe ________ you say
19) ___________ you say is not true
20) I gave it to the man ______ I saw there
21) I know ________ you are praising.
22) You have not brought the book ________ I asked for
23) Please recite ______ you have learnt
|14. Fill in the blanks with correct form of verb given in the brackets|
1) The earth ………… round the Sun (move,moves,moved)
2) My friend ………. the Principal yesterday (see,have seen,saw)
3) She ………. worried about something (looks,looking,is looking)
4) He ………. asleep while reading (falls,fell,has fallen)
5) He …….. a mill in this town (have,has,is having)
6) I ……… a strange noise (hear,am hearing,having been hearing)
7) Don’t disturb me.I ……. my homework (do,did,am doing)
8) The soup ……. good (taste,tastes,is tasting)
9) He …….. TV most evenings (watches,is watching,watch)
10) The baby ………… all morning (cries,has been crying)
11) I ………. him at the zoo (saw,have seen,had seen)
12) She ……… unconscious since 4’0 clock (is,was,has been)
13) The sun …….. over the hills (rises,is rise,is rising)
14) When I ……… my dinner,I went to bed (had,have had,had had)
15) She jumped off the bus when it …… (moved,has moved,was moving)
|15. Change the verbs into Past Tense in the following|
1. Rama writes to his mother every week
2. She sings sweetly
3. He comes of a good line
4. I know him for an American
5. I forgot his name
6. He gets along fairly well
7. He throws cold water
8. They all tell the same story
|16. Convert the simple sentences into compound sentences|
1. Hearing their father’s foot steps the boys ran away
2. With a great effort he lifted the box
3. Being a cripple he cannot ride a horse
4. He was rejected owing to illness
5. To avoid punishment he ran away
|17. Convert the compound sentences into simple sentences|
1. My friend arrived and went for a walk
2. Be good and you will be happy
3. I ordered to halt but he took no notice
4. I continuously invited him to visit me but he never came
5. He escaped several times but was finally caught
6. He is a good steady worker, only he is rather slow
7. The ink had dried up and I could not write
8. I have lot of work and must do it now
9. He has an unpleasant duty and must perform it10. He found a rupee and was delighted for his luck