INDIAN RAILWAY QUESTION BANK
GROUP D To GROUP C EXAM
|I. Expand the abbreviations:|
ADRM-Additional Divisional Railway Manager
AGM - Additional General Manager
APPSC - Andhra Pradesh Public Service Commission
CCO - Chief Claims Officer
CPRO - Chief Public Relations Officer
CTE - Chief Track Engineer
CBE - Chief Bridge Engineer
CLW - Chittaranjan Locomotive Works
CPDE - Chief Planning & Development Engineer
PCE - Principal Chief Engineer
CMPE - Chief Motive Power Engineer
CME - Chief Mechanical Engineer
CWE - Chief Workshop Engineer
CRSE - Chief Rolling Staff Engineer
CEE - Chief Electrical Engineer
CESE - Chief Electrical Service Engineer
CSC - Chief Security Commissioner
CCM - Chief Commercial Manager
CMD - Chief Medical Director
CAO/C- Chief Administrative Officer/Construction
CELE - Chief Electrical Loco Engineer
CSTE - Chief Signal & Telecommunication Engineer
CCE -Chief Communication Engineer
COS - Controller of Stores
CMM - Chief Materials Manager
CPO - Chief Personnel Officer
CPO/A - Chief Personnel Officer Administration
CPOIR- Chief Personnel Officer Industrial Relation
COM - Chief Operations Manager
CPTM - Chief Passenger Traffic Manager
CFTM - Chief Freight Traffic Manager
COFMOW – Central Organization for Modernization of Workshop
CPM - Chief Projects Manager
CRB - Chairman Railway Board
CRS - Commissioner Railway Safety
CRS - Carriage Repair Shop
CGEGIS - Central Government Employees Group Insurance Scheme
DRM - Divisional Railway Manager
DLW - Diesel Locomotive Works
EDPM- Electrical Data Processing Manager
FA&CAO- Financial Advisor and Chief Accounts Officer
HBA - House Building Advance
IREM - Indian Railway Establishment Manual
IRCTC- Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation
ICF - Integral Coach Factory
IRISET- Indian Railway Institute of Signal Engineering & Telecommunication
IRCON- Indian Railway Construction Organization
IRWO- Indian Railway Welfare Organization
ILO – International Labour Organization
LAP - Leave at Average Pay
LHAP – Leave at Half Average Pay
MBF - Mutual Benefit Fund
RITES-Rail India Technical & Economic Services
RRB - Railway Recruitment Board
RCT - Railway Claims Tribunal
RRT -Railway Rates Tribunal
RCF - Rail Coach Factory
RWF - Rail Wheel Factory
RDSO – Research Design & Standards Organization
RDC - Railway Degree College
RELHS – Railway Employees Liberalized Health SchemeRVNL – Rail Vikas Nigam Ltd
STC - Supervisor Training Center
SBF - Staff Benefit Fund
SWSO- Senior Work Study Officer
UNO – United Nations Organization
ZRTI – Zonal Railway Training Institute
UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Educational Fund
WHO - World Health Organization
|II. Fill in the Blanks :|
1) RCF is situated at __________
2) Bharat Heavy Electricals is at________
3) Nagarjuna Dam is in the State of _________
4) Konark Express run between Mumbai________
5) Osman Sagar is situated at__________
6) Kovalam Beach is in __________state
7) ICF is situated at __________
8) Sun Temple is at _________
9) Golcumbaz is at ____________
10) Qutub Minar is at________
11) Charminar is at __________
12) India Gate is at___________
13) Gate Way of India_________
14) Rail Coach Factory is at__________
15) Rail Wheel Factory is at __________
16) Integral Coach Factory is at _______________
17) There are _____________Zones in Indian Railways
18) There are _____________Divisions on SC Railway
19) Tar is a product of ____________
20) Steel Plant in AP is at___________
21) Fuel used for train Engine is ________ or ____________.
22) Wagon Workshop is situated at _______________ on S.C. Railway.
23) Carriage Repair Shop is situated at ______________ on S.C. Railway
24) ELS stands for ___________________________.
25) Electric Loco Sheds are set up at _______________________________
on S.C. Railway.
26) Railway Officers are trained at _____________________________.
27) A brother who is below _______ years of age can be a dependent to be
included in the pass declaration.
28) A request to CCM is made for release of berths from ________________.
29) Lepakshi is in the District of ________
|III. Types of Leave:|
1) ______ days of CL are entitled in a calendar year for staff in administrative office.
2) _____ days of Restricted Holidays are entitled in a calendar year
3) ______ days of LAP are credited in half a year
4) _______ days of LHAP are credited in a year.
5) Extra Ordinary Leave of _______ years can be sanctioned at a maximum.
6) Maternity Leave is ________ days.
7) Paternity leave is _____ days.
8) Maximum LAP that can be granted at a stretch is _______ days.
1) Festival Advance is Rs.__________
2) Cycle Advance is Rs. _________.
3) Scooter Advance is Rs.____________ in the first occasion.
4) Motor Car Advance is Rs. _____________ in the first occasion.
5) Computer advance is Rs. ____________.
6) HBA is _______ times the basic pay plus DP
1) DA stands for _____________________
2) CCA stands for __________________
3) HRA stands for _____________________
4) TA stands for ___________________
|VI. Labour Organisations:|
NFIR stands for ___________________________________
AIRF stands for ____________________________________
JCM stands for ____________________________________
PNM stands for ____________________________________
SCRMU stands for ___________________________________
SCRES stands for ____________________________________
|VII. Say True or False:|
1. The lowest pay scale is Rs. 2610-3540.
2. The V Pay Commission recommendations are made effective from 01.04.96.
3. A peon of CPO’s Office can be posted to Vijayawada on promotion.
4. A substitute in Group ‘D’ is entitled to appear for selection to Gr.’C’ post.
5. The pay scale of Junior Clerk is Rs. 4500-7000.
6. White paper is non-stock item.
7. Tables and Chairs required for an office are stocked items.
8. A supervisory official is entitled to draw a brief case for official purposes.
9. The rate of increment in scale Rs.3050-4590 is Rs.150/-.
10. Employees with II Class pass are allowed in Guard’s Break van.
11. A Station Master is capable to cancel a train.
12. Chief Operations Manger belongs to Traffic Service.
13. Chief Claims officer has to verify the arrear claims of the staff before disbursement of the payment.
14. IRPS officers are recruited by RRB.
15. UPSC recruits Station Managers.
16. Stenographers are personal staff of officers recruited by them.
17. A Bungalow Peon is recruited by RRB.
18. Bunglow Peons are initially engaged with the approval the officer concerned.
19. A substitute bunglow peon attains temporary status after 120 days service.
20. Asst. Officers are entitled to a Substitute Bungalow Peon.
21. Bungalow Peons are transferable to any Railway along with the officer to whom he is attached.
22. SR stands for Suitability Record because the suitability of an employee is
decided for promotion on perusal of the SR.
23. 100% of CL service counts for pensionery benefits.
24. CL service means service done on Casual Leave.
25. Bonus on Railways is payable twice a year.
26. Monthly wages are paid to the staff on the first day of the month.
27. There are weekly and daily wage periods on Railways.
28. In case of any grievance, staff must approach the local political leader first.
29. DAR action can be taken if any staff represent their grievances through MPs/MLAs.
30. No wages are paid during suspension since the employee is not required to work during the suspension period.
31. Suspension means punishing the employee for coming late to the office daily.
32. Staff get half payment during suspension for unauthorised absence.
33. The cost of spectacles is reimbursed under Mutual Benefit Fund.
34. The co-operative society lends loans to all Railway employees.
35. A Group D employee cannot take gifts worth Rs. 20/- from others on certain functions in the house.
36. Wife and husband, if both working as peons can be posted in the same office.
37. A group D employee should have minimum VIII Class qualification for recruitment on Railways.
38. Pension is payable to a Railway servant who retires from service with 5 years’ qualifying service.
39. If a Group D employees dies after putting in 2 years service can be paid pension.
40. Leave encashment is payable at the time of retirement only.
41. Deposit Linked insurance scheme is linked to the PF balances of an employee.
42. Railway employees are given free food during IOD.
43. Workmen get compensation if one is injured while on duty and in the course of one’s duty.
44. If a Gangman is run over and killed while on duty, he is entitled for exgratia payment in addition to the workmen compensation payable to him.
45. Group D employees are entitled to free diet while taking treatment as inpatient in a Railway hospital.
46. Un-married female employees are not entitled to Maternity Leave.
47. SC/ST candidates are given a free pass to enable them to attend the written examination conducted by RRB.
48. 70% of daily TA is payable to a Railway employee on line beyond 8 Kms for 3 hours.
49. A Senior Clerk can remove a peon from service.
50. AP Express runs between Secunderabad and Mumbai.
51. All Rajadhani Expresses are to and fro Delhi.
52. Cattle can also be transported by Trains.
53. Fish cannot be carried by passenger trains.
54. The rate of Railway Time Table is Rs.125/-.
55. The Railway Time Table gives the information about break journey.
56. A pass holder cannot break his journey before completion of 500 Kms.
57. A local train ticket is valid for 8 hours.
58. Refund is granted by Station Master after two days of departure of the concerned train.
59. Full refund of fare is entitled on an unconfirmed ticket .
60. The reservation charges are non-refundable.
61. A privilege pass is valid for 4 months during which the holder can travel any number of times.
62. A TC should collect amount from ticket-less traveler if he is not a staff only.
63. Ticket checking staff are running staff who are entitled for running allowance.
64. Drivers are non-running staff.
65. Staff should be sober while on duty.
66. Breathalyser test is to test the driver whether he is breathing is properly.
67. Taking intoxicated drinks before 10 hours of commencement of the duty is punishable under DAR.
68. Peons are entitled to washing allowance.
69. Washing allowance is an allowance payable to Group D staff who accept the work of washing plates, cups and saucers etc.
70. The daily sale proceeds of the Railway staff canteen are credited to Railway revenues and draw the necessary expenditure from Railway towards purchase of provisions.
71. Some trains are called freight trains because of their frightening speed.
72. CFTM looks after movement of Freight Trains.
73. Container Corporation sells containers.
74. IRCTC stands for Indian Railway Catering and Transport Corporation.
75. RailTel is a department of Railways who tells about Railways to the passengers.
|VII. General Questions:|
1. Who is the General Manager of your Railway?
2. Who is the Additional General Manager of your Railway?
3. Who is the Pricipal Chief Engineer of your Railway?
4. Who is Chief Administrative Officer/Construction of your Railway?
5. Who is the Chief Personnel Officer of your Railway?
6. Who is the Financial Advisor & Chief Accounts Officer?
7. Where is the Headquarters of Hyderabad Division?
8. Where is the Headquarters of Secunderabad Division?
9. What is the other name of Vijayawada?
10. How many privilege passes are eligible to Group D and Group C employees?
11. How Many Post Retirement passes are eligible for Group C and D employees, who have put in 25 years service?
12. In which Division the following stations are situated? Nanded, Tirupati, Raichur, Nandiyal, Parli
13. Who is the Prime Minister of India?
14. Where Rail Wheel Factory situated?
15. Who wrote Natioanl Anthem
16. Who is the Present Captain of Indian Cricket?
17. Who Invented television?
18. Which is the capital of Uttaranchal?
19. What is the minimum service required for promotion of junior clerk to senior clerk?
20. What is the minimum distance an employee to travel to become eligible for TA/DA?
21. How many days casual leave a fitter in workshop is eligible in a year?
22. How many Zones are there in Indian Railways?
23. How many Workshops are there in Indian Railways?
24. Who is the Minister for Railways?
25. Where is the Railway Board situated?
26. What is the currency of the following countries?
USA ,Dubai, Singapore, Australia, Bangladesh, Russia, China , Sri Lanka, Pakistan
27. Who is Election Commissioner of India?
28. How Many states are there in India?
29. How many Union Territories are there in India?
30. Who is the Chief Justice of India?
31. Who was called as Punjab Kesari?
32. Where is the Railway Museum located?
33. Who is the Head of the Indian Railways?
34. Which Department handles health care of the employees?
35. Who is the Head of the Zonal Railway?
36. How many major workshops are on SC Railway?
37. Who is the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu?
38. Who is the Governor of AP?
39. Write any two allowances admissible to you?
40. Write any two allowances admissible to Railway servant?
41. What is meant by D & A Rules?
42. How many sets of passes and PTOs are entitled to a Group D employee who has put in 4 years of service?
43. What are important Tourist places on S.C. Railway?
44. What is the recruitment agency for S.C. Railway?
45. Where is the only Degree College on Indian Railways?
46. What is SBF?
47. Who are the Chairman and members of SBF Committee?
48. What are the schemes introduced by SBF Committee on S.C. Railway?
49. Who is the General Secretary of SCRE Sangh?
50. Who is the General Secretary of SCRM Union?
51. How many Trade unions are recognized on Indian Railways? What are they?
52. Who is the Correspondent for the Railway Schools/Colleges?
53. If an employee opts for widow-complimentary passes, he is entitled for 6 sets of PTOs.